2021 Assembly Materials
You are welcome to give as part of the Oregon Synod Assembly offering until May 12.
- Friday offering, ELCA World Hunger: Click here to give! In honor of the incredible work that they do locally and across the globe, and in celebration of our newly launched Oregon Synod Hunger Team, we are delighted to lift up ELCA World Hunger as the offering for Friday at Assembly. You can learn more and get up to date information by watching these two short videos: Video One. Video Two.
- Saturday offering, Luther House Campus Ministry: Click here to give! Saturday’s offering gives the opportunity to spread the word and support the ministry of Luther House Campus Ministry at Oregon State University. “Luther House Campus Ministry is…. moved and called to be an outpost of compassion on the Oregon State University campus, living the compassion of Jesus with our words and our deeds.” You can learn more by watching the video on their website (scroll down the webpage)
What is Synod Assembly?
The synod Assembly is an annual gathering of pastors, deacons, and lay people representing the congregations that make up the Oregon Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The Assembly serves as the synod’s highest legislative authority.
- receives information and reports;
- elects nominees to leadership positions in the church;
- reaches decisions on matters brought before the Assembly;
- sets priorities for the synod’s ministry;
- equips and educates those who attend to interpret the mission of the synod in local ministry settings; and
- celebrates the community that is the Oregon Synod through development of relationships and worship
Elected Voting Members
Congregations can have up to 8 lay voting members in the following categories:
- Regular voting members: Up to 2
- Additional voting members:
- Up to 2 people who identify LGBTQIA+
- Up to 2 members who are people of color and/or whose first language isn’t English
- Up to 2 youth or young adult voting members