INTO THE LIGHT!
Synod Assembly 2019
The Oregon Synod Assembly will be livestreamed beginning with our keynote address Friday, May 10 at 7:00 PM. Livestreaming will continue Saturday, May 11 8:30 AM-8:00 PM and Sunday, May 12 8:30 AM-11:30 AM. Find us at https://vimeo.com/event/7159
We are so excited to be welcoming congregations and ministries from all over Oregon to our Oregon Synod Assembly, May 10-12, 2019 in Eugene, OR. Here’s what you’ll want to know: (Information on submitting Resolutions and Nominations further down the page. Los recursos disponibles en español están en rojo.)
Our Assembly Theme this year is INTO THE LIGHT! Taken from Revelation 7, our focus will be on the love of God all Creation is invited into, and the amazing ministry happening right before our eyes.
Each congregation and developing ministry of the Oregon Synod is encouraged to send Voting Members to this Assembly. PRE-REGISTRATION is required and can be done here. To check on your congregation’s allowed number of Voting Members see here.
We will be meeting this year at The Graduate (formerly the Eugene Hilton) in Eugene, OR. May 10-12, 2019. Late registrations, those made after April 16, 2019 ,will not be able to stay at The Graduate as our room block is now filled. If you wish to call the synod office we may have alternatives to suggest. 503-413-4191.
The Oregon Synod Assembly is the annual business meeting of our Synod. This year’s business will include:
- Worship, prayer and fellowship. (Opening worship will start at 1:00 PM Friday, May 10, 2019!)
- Key Note Presentation Friday evening, May 10, with Krishanti Vignarajah, President and CEO of Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services.
- Reports, witness and sharing of vital ministries around the state.
- The election for a Synod Bishop, Vice-President, Council Members and more.
- Workshops on various aspects of shared ministry and ministry opportunities.
- Information tables from ministry partners.
- A quilt auction.
- A banquet to recognize pastors and staff members celebrating anniversies or finishing terms of service. (Our banquest will be Saturday evening, May 11.)
- Friends, relationships, fun, fellowship.
Other important business will include the adoption of a Synod Budget for 2020 and any Memorials or Resolutions that may come before the body.
Resolutions will be accepted for consideration by the Reference and Counsel Committee (be “accepted resolutions”) if received before 30 days prior to the opening of the assembly, making the 2019 deadline April 12. Resolutions received after the foregoing date will not be accepted for consideration unless 2/3 of the Reference and Counsel Committee or the Synod Council shall determine that the resolution is 1) of overriding importance, or 2) addresses a previously accepted resolution.
- Link here to make Nominations for various Synod Committees. Enlace aquí para hacer nominaciones.
List of Open Positions (Puestos para eleccion)
Nominations may be made anytime between now and 7:00 PM Friday, May 10, 2019. Nominations are not made for the position of bishop.
Please go here for information on our Bishop election.
Assembly Materials for Voting Members will be made available through this webpage as they are prepared. See links in the box to the right.
Reports, resolutions and other Assembly Materials will be available below as they are proudced.
- Preparing for the Assembly (¿Qué es una Asamblea de Sínodo?)
- 2019 Assembly Agenda (Agenda de la Asamblea del Sínodo de Oregon)
- 2019 Rules of the Assembly
- 2019 Assembly Lay Voting Members
- DISPLAY TABLES: Information – Request for a Table (Oregon Synod Ministries have display table fees waved. Please call.)
- Assembly Greetings from Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton (Español)
- Bishop’s Report
- Vice President’s Report
- Secretary’s Report
- Treasurer’s Report
- Resolution #1 – Invitation for Outreach. (Resolución #1 – Invitación al Ministerio)
- Resolution #2 – Women and Justice. (Resolución #2 – Declaración social propuesta para el apoyo a la mujer y a la justicia )
- Resolution #3 – Training Protocol for Fostering Cultural Understanding of the Latino Community. (Resolución #3 – Concerniente a la creación de un protocolo de capacitación para fomentar el entendimiento cultural de la comunidad latina )
- Resolution #4 – Poor People’s Campaign. (Resolución #4 – Campaña de los Pobres)
- Oregon Synod Constitution (Resource)
Please see information here for submitting Memorials or Resolutions.
Use this form to make Nominations.