ELCA World Hunger and Oregon Synod Hunger Team
NEWS & UPDATES
In 2022, ELCA World Hunger is partnering in new and continuing ways through domestic granting, more than doubling 2021 levels of investment thanks to the generosity of this church. Through this year’s partnerships, ELCA World Hunger is investing in long-term sustainable transformation in communities most vulnerable to systemic injustices that lead to hunger and poverty.
- 57 new Domestic Hunger Grants will join existing multi-year commitments for a total of 146 grants across 57 synods, representing over $1 million in investment in partner ministries.
- Five grantees in Oregon!
- Cully Neighborhood Outreach, Portland
- Nativity Lutheran Church, Bend
- Portland Rescue Mission, Portland
- ReVillage, Bend
- Storyline Community, Milwaukie
- Five grantees in Oregon!
- Twelve ministries have been awarded Big Dream grants, representing more than $1.4 million in investment from ELCA World Hunger. Responding to this moment of opportunity for significant and immediate action with our partners across the ELCA, these grants support projects promoting access to affordable housing, racial equity, intersections of agriculture with faith, and more. Together, these “Big Dreams” will demonstrate the powerful collective possibilities for this church to impact domestic hunger and poverty.
- One of these Big Dream grans went to an Oregon Synod congregation, Zion Lutheran Church La Grande. (A REALLY BIG DEAL!)
The Oregon Synod is thrilled to have so many ministries recognized and supported for their innovative work to end hunger at its roots!
Registration for 2023 Domestic Hunger grants is open. Applicants must register in advance on ELCA Grantmaker. That registration process ends May 6. The application process opens April 11 and ends May 20. On April 2, the Oregon Synod Hunger Team is holding a free seminar “Tips for Writing a Strong Application.” Click on the icon below to register.
ELCA World Hunger is offering an informational webinar for potential applicants on April 6 at 12 pm Central Time. You can learn more about ELCA World Hunger Domestic Hunger Grants, what they are looking for, the timeline, links to Grantmaker, etc. Register here.
2023 Daily Bread Grants
ELCA World Hunger has also announced another round of Daily Bread grants for 2023! These grants are smaller (and easier to get!) than Domestic Hunger Grants. The application window opens on April 25. Grants are available on a first come-first served basis. Learn more here.
Your Oregon Synod Hunger Team is pleased to be able to help facilitate ELCA World Hunger’s work by providing education, encouraging giving, and evaluating applications for Domestic Hunger Grants. Most importantly, we try to build relationships with all so that hunger can be ended here and across the world. Questions about the Oregon Synod Hunger Team? You can email team chair Barbara Stevenson.