Please join us for the People's Climate March in Portland to stand united with thousands in NYC on Sept 21 to peacefully flood the streets in record numbers, raise our voices and urge global leaders at the UN to support a global agreement to reduce global warming pollution.
What is the People’s Climate March?
On September 21st, in New York City, there will be an unprecedented climate mobilization – in size, beauty, and impact. As heads of state convene in New York City for a historic UN summit on climate change, with our future on the line, we will take a weekend and use it to bend the course of history.
How can my congregation get involved?
EcoFaith Recovery invites you to organize a group from your congregation to participate in the People’s Climate March in Portland (PCM in PDX) on Sunday, September 21st, 3:00 p.m at the Portland Waterfront Park’s South Bowl (just south of the West end of the Hawthorne Bridge).
Details for the Day
Grounding Ourselves for Action
- 2:00pm Pre-gathering at St. James Lutheran Church, 1315 SW Park Ave, Portland(on the SW corner of Jefferson): On behalf of the entire EcoFaith Recovery network, the Wilderness Way Community, will be helping us get spiritually and relationally grounded for the march. With singing and drumming, we will connect with other people of faith, consider what gifts we hope to offer to the larger community of marchers, and learn songs through which the Spirit will inspire us both before and during the march. This will be the place for congregations to gather so we can participate in this action together! (Public transit directions to St. James are at the bottom of this page.)
- 2:40: Walk down to Waterfront Park together We will walk 1/2 mile from St. James down to the Waterfront Park’s South Bowl via Jefferson Street. St. James is on the corner of Jefferson Street which goes straight down to the march location on the river.
- If you will be connecting up with us at the march, look for the giant white Peace Doves in the crowd of people courtesy of Multnomah Friends Meeting. All people of faith are welcome to rally around the Peace Doves as we march together. Please bring signs or symbols made by your own community of faith demonstrating that people of faith believe God cares deeply about recovery for human life and healing for all of creation.
- 3:00pm Rally - Gathering for the Rally begins at 3pm at the Tom McCall Waterfront Park (park bowl just south of Hawthorne bridge @ SW Naito Parkway & SW Madison).
- 4:30 March – will begin and loop back to Waterfront Park’s South Bowl. It will be followed by another rally back at the same location which will end by 5:30ish p.m.
Reflection, Debriefing, and Giving Thanks
- 5:45ish Walk Back to St. James Lutheran again with your team where we hope to have refreshments waiting.
- 6:00 Reflection and Evaluation at St. James Lutheran 1315 SW Park Ave, Portland(on the SW corner of Jefferson): We will reconvene to join in our collective Practice of reflection and evaluation of the event! This is the first step towards dreaming our next steps together as faith communities in relationship with one another enacting God’s longing for the recovery of human life and healing for God’s creation.